Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Catching Dreams and Lighting the Campfire...


I was at a one-day session for women at a local state park the other weekend, and while the yoga session was sort-of a fail for a number of reasons, the kayak lesson and the boat tour of the lake re-affirmed my desire to take up kayaking!

But what made me come back here to this blog, and has me thinking about the importance of posting here regularly -- and what made me change up my blog name - was my last session of the day.

We met in a pavilion to make dream catchers. And while admittedly the instructions were a little vague... the women at my table just kept saying "I don't get it. I'm not creative."

And that made me sad. My poor little dream catcher was, well, catch as catch can ... but at least I finished it. The women around me couldn't seem to get past that story they were telling themselves ... or that others had told them ... that they weren't creative, and so crafting wasn't for them.

So sad.

And I get it. I do. All my life I told myself that I couldn't draw. I still don't think I'm that great at it, but last July I started a daily drawing practice (or an every couple of days drawing practice, let's be real). And I started posting those drawing to Facebook and the reception has been overwhelmingly positive. I have friends stop me all the time and tell me how much they like seeing my little sketches. Which frankly blows my mind.

All of which makes me want to encourage creativity in any way I can. And maybe by sharing my efforts, I can help in some small way. So let's gather around the creative campfire and tell each other stories of success and hope, not failure.

“Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.”― Vincent van Gogh 

No comments:

Post a Comment