Tuesday, April 1, 2014

New moon, new month, new outlook


It was 61 degrees when I left the library yesterday. So a little celebration was in order when I got home. 

I've been thinking a lot about change lately. About how hard it is to stop doing what you're used to doing and step out in a new direction. But I'm also tired of feeling like I'm sleepwalking through life. It was a long winter around these parts. 

I was wandering around Pinterest the other day. (No big surprise there!) And I saw a poster that said "Bloom Where You Are Planted." And I couldn't stop thinking about how this was a truth I needed to hear. A two-fold truth about how one way forward is to both accept where you are and then set about making that place a good place to be.

So April is being dedicated to blooming. 

Which meant that when I got home last night I cleared off this little table. It's right inside my back door, and the first place I see when I come in from the garage. Consequently its the dumping ground for a lot of JUNK. So the first task was to clear off the table ... and yes, the floor around it! Then I got out the vintage tablecloth I bought months back on a rainy Saturday trawl through an antique mall especially for this purpose. I fixed a healthy-ish chicken sort-of-burrito bowl and sat down at my little table in the spring sunlight and ate dinner, and read a book.

Last spring (or early summer) moved a bunch of junk out of this awkward corner of my house and put in the table and the twinkle lights. I loved my joyful little corner -- which was added to at Christmas with a vintage Hoosier cabinet that you can't see in the picture. But over the winter it was mostly too cold to sit back here. So I'm very happy that Spring is springing up and allowing me to reintroduce myself to this spot in my house. 

More TLC to come as I tackle more piles of junk in the kitchen (and then I hope in other rooms). My poor little house needs some serious spring clearing!! But it starts here in my little nook of joy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment